You may have heard of a bucket list. I call this instead a happy list. It is a list of things that you enjoy doing but haven't done in a long time.
Time: 10 minutes to create the list
Piece of paper
Pen or pencil
What you do is write down 10 things that you like doing. Not things you normally do, but things you haven't done in a very long time and which used to make you happy.
Then you go out and do at least one item on the list. You can be guaranteed to feel better or happier as a result.
If you are helping a friend who is feeling down, then have them create the list and help them tick off some or all of the items.
This is a standard technique used by psychologists for helping people with depression but can be used by anyone feeling a little down, stuck or frustrated with their life.
1. Go hiking
2. Travel somewhere new
3. Eat out at a 5 star buffet restaurant
4. Spend Sunday at home watching TV
5. Have lunch with colleagues instead of eating at my desk
6. Watch a movie in a movie theater
7. Have dinner with my whole family together
9. Try a new recipe
10. Catch up with old friends